Sunday, July 14, 2013

Laila Cathleen Mortensen

This post is mainly for me, so that I remember what happened on Laila's birthday. I planned for the worst and longest labor, but instead was blessed with a wonderful and short labor.

Thursday, June 20, 2013
I was 38 weeks and 5 days at this point. Isaac and I went to my doctor's appointment for an ultrasound to see how big this baby was going to be. During the appointment my dr. asked me if I wanted him to "strip my membranes". I really didn't know what that meant so he told us. He made it sound like it was no big deal, but he did say that it sends some people in to labor rather quickly. I knew that would not be the case for me since I was only dilated to a one +, so I told him to go ahead and do it. Isaac did not have the same thoughts about it and he didn't really want me to do it. But he was not the one who was pregnant and I thought for sure our baby would not be coming for another week, so we did it.

Afterwards we were able to go out to lunch together before returning to work and student teaching. It was nice to eat lunch together at Astro Burgers (the only food I craved during this pregnancy: hamburgers). I wasn't feeling any differently, just the usual braxton hicks and didn't think much of it. Later that night I waddled on over to the church to watch Isaac's softball game. I proceeded to text people what had happened during the day and reassured them that nothing was going to happen and that it would still be a while before baby came. We went home and watched tv and then I cleaned up the house because I did not want to wake up to a messy house. I am so glad I did this. Isaac and I went to bed at 11:00 that night. I later woke up at 11:57 for a routine trip to the loo because I was having some cramping. I went back to bed and the cramping came back even stronger now. 

Friday, June 21, 2013
At midnight I starting have this pain (i now know were contractions) that was unmanageable. We had watched some birthing videos that said not to clock your contractions because it probably wasn't real active labor, so I decided to not watch the clock. After about 20 minutes of squirming and frantically rubbing my feet together as each contraction came on stronger and stronger, it became difficult to not watch the clock. I finally woke up Isaac and asked him what I should do. We were really both just confused it seemed like. Should we clock them, should we not? I knew Isaac was watching the clock each time I became more tense. They were very sparatic. Some were 5 minutes apart, some were 2 minutes apart, then 10 minutes. I thought for sure that I just needed to walk around to make them go away. Well that didn't work. I was using the breathing techniques that we had learned and they seemed to help, for about an hour. Then there was nothing else I could do but to get on all fours and clench the carpet between my fingers. I tried using the restroom again and saw the "bloody show". I knew what that meant, but I didn't want to believe it. So of course, I GOOGLED it. That's when I knew I needed to clock these puppies. I went to the bedroom and had Isaac start the stopwatch. As I grasped the sheets between my fingers, and nearly ripped them to pieces, I began to cry while using my breathing techniques (NOT CUTE!) Isaac watched the clock. Exactly one minute every 5 minutes. Then I had a 40 second contraction with ten seconds in between to breathe and then another one hit me, then another, and another. 4 IN A ROW with literally no breathing time. It was excruciating. I thought for sure that at any minute they would stop and i would be able to go back to sleep. I tried distracting my self by watching a show. I only got through 20 seconds of it. Still I thought that this was not the day and that this would go on for days like my sister went through.  

2:30 am
I was in so much pain, this time kneeling by the couch clutching a pillow, that I decided to call my mom (4:30am) to see what she thought. When my contraction stopped I called her quickly not knowing when the next one would start again. She answered the phone in a panic, it seemed, and all I could get out was "Mom.." and another one hit me. I couldn't even talk to her, so I passed the phone to Isaac who kindly explained what was going on. He handed me the phone and she told me to go to the hospital. I told her I didn't want to go because they were just going to send me home, so I might as well just stay here and fight through the pain. I had to pass the phone again to Isaac and I think she told him that it was time to take me to the hospital. I finally gave in and said let's go. Luckily we had the baby stuff ready, so we packed our clothes and while Isaac took stuff to the car I started screaming with each contraction. I feel really bad for the neighbors upstairs. They probably thought I was dying. I wanted to run to the car because I did not want to have a contractions outside. But of course I didn't make it. I had to get down on the ground and scream my way through yet another beast of a contraction. It was such a beautiful morning, so may of the apartments I could see had their windows open. OPPS! Nothing i could do about it. I swear Isaac took the long way to the hospital and drove incredibly slow. That was the longest car ride of my life. we finally got there and again I had another contraction right outside the hospital up against the pole. Luckily I had brought my pillow with me to grab on to. Like that was going to help. And of course another one right outside the doors of labor and delivery. The doors swung open and Isaac said come on let's go. I proceeded to tell him through my clentched teeth, "I can't move right now!" 

3:00 am
I walked in and standing there was my doctor! I was happy to see him. I forgot that he told me he was on call that night, so that was exciting news because Friday he was going out of town and wouldn't be back until  Saturday afternoon. He asked me how I was doing. I thought hmmm what a stupid question. "I'm in pain and hurting." I think that's what I said?? They asked if I needed a wheelchair. I said well how far do I have to walk? Triage was right there and I knew they were going to check me first and then send me home. "Don't you need to check me first?" They said, "We are going to put you in a room right now." I was confused because here I was dying, but still thought they were going to send me home. I got in my cute gown knelt on the floor and suffered while Isaac filled out the paper work. I finally got into bed and the nurse checked to see how dilated I was, 4. I looked at her and said, "WHAT?" Now I knew for sure that I was staying to have this baby. She got me hooked up to the IV. I wanted to punch her in the face. She had to stick me twice while I was in the middle of the contraction which meant I had to be completely still. I told her I wanted and epidural and so she sent for the anesthesiologist and in the mean time got me some Fetinol  for pain. When she gave me that I wanted to hug her. I could still feel the contractions, but that stuff was good! The only baby mama quote I used during labor, "What's the street name for this stuff?" Isaac thought I was serious and said, "umm.. I don't know, laughing gas?" I laughed a little. This stuff made me so dizzy, but it was a good dizzy. At this point each contraction was making my whole entire body just shake. I became nauseous and tolf the nurse, "I think I'm gonna be sick." She nicely handed me a bag and I threw up. Remember that nice lunch I had with Isaac yesterday after the dr. appt? Well there it was. 

The bloodwork had come back and the anesthesiologist came to give me the epidural. Yes is hurt, but it was just an immediate hurt and didn't last long. After about 15 minutes I was feeling great. No pain, and I thought okay, now we wait  and Isaac and I can get some sleep because this was going to be a long labor. The dr came in around 4:30 and said I was dilated to a 7. I was really in shock now. This was happening so fast. It really hadn't hit me yet. he said I'll be back in about 10 minutes to break your water. So he came back and broke my water. He and the nurse were talking and said that the baby would be her before 7. I was like haha yeah right, but they were serious and told me to get ready. I looked at Isaac and we were both a little stunned. We kept saying, this is so fast. 

5:00 am
The nurse came in and told me to get some rest. So I tried to sleep. I pushed the little button for some more epidural medicine and took a nap. Half an hour later another nurse came in and gave me some oxygen because the baby wasn't getting enough air or something. I can't really remember what she said, but I wasn't worried. 
5:40 am
She came back ten minutes later and said "ya know what let me just check to see if the baby is ready to come out. That might be the reason she is not comfortable." She checked and said, "Oh yep there's the head. You're fully dilated and ready to push." "WHAT?!!!! Are you serious?" Now we were both awake and ready to do this.

The nurse came in and asked Isaac if he was comfortable holding a leg. I told her "Yes he is". I started pushing and then we saw it, THE HEAD. I thought it was so cool, but Isaac was weirded out. He kept saying, that does not look like a head. I pushed for 15 minutes and then the doctor came in. I pushed a few more times and there she was. Messy and beautiful all at the same time. As i held her, Isaac and I both started to cry. She was here. the girl we had been waiting for. She was perfect. 6 pounds 15 ounces. happy and Healthy. We couldn't take our eyes off of her. She is a miracle. She came into this world so fast I couldn't have asked for it any other way. It was perfect. It hurt at the beginning, but as everyone always says, "It was totally worth it". It was love at first kick and when I saw her I fell in love with her all over again. 

So...She's here. Today she is a week old. She has had some hiccups with being jaundice and having trouble nursing, but she is much better and our little family couldn't be happier with this bundle of joy. I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father who trusted me with one of his children. Isaac is such an amazing dad to Laila and I am so happy that I had him by my side. We look back and it all begins to blur together, so i wanted to write out the details so that I could always remember June 21, 2013 the day my beautiful baby girl came to be with me! I will love her forever and for always. She will always be my little baby!

Proud Parents to our Little Peanut

No comments:

Post a Comment